ST. PETERSBURG — The interim leader of the University of South Florida St. Petersburg has been named one of the candidates still in contention for the permanent job.
Bill Hogarth, former dean of the USF college of marine science, has served in the role of chancellor since August. He is among 10 people who remain from an initial group of 72 applicants.
Though the "soft" deadline to apply was Nov. 30, the committee will still consider worthy aspirants.
Hogarth took the reins from Margaret Sullivan, who announced her retirement this summer. He could not be reached for comment Friday.
Some of the remaining contenders will be asked to interview early next year, according to spokesman Tom Scherberger. About three will then be invited to another round of interviews and public presentations at the school.
Along with Hogarth, the short list includes current and former administrators of higher education from all over the country:
• John Anderson is the president of Alfred State College in New York. He had previously served as executive vice president and provost at Hartwick College, also in New York.
• Linda Bradley, assistant vice president for academic affairs at the University of Central Florida, is one of only two in-state candidates other than Hogarth.
• Ron Brown, a pediatric psychologist, is the provost at Detroit's Wayne State University.
• Yash Gupta has worked as the president and CEO of SDP Telecom since last year. Before that, he served as the dean of the business school at Johns Hopkins University in Maryland.
• Michael Lane served as president of Emporia State University in Kansas from 2006 to 2011. He remains there as an accounting professor.
• Michael Renner is the former provost of Iowa's Drake University, where he now teaches biology and psychology.
• Ralph Rogers is vice chancellor for academic affairs at Purdue University Calumet in Indiana.
• Jeff Senese is vice president for academic affairs at Johnson & Wales University in North Miami. He had previously worked as the vice president for academic affairs and dean of faculty at Philadelphia University.
• Sophia Wisniewska is the chancellor of Penn State Brandywine in Pennsylvania. She was previously the dean of a Temple University campus.
John Woodrow Cox can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.