Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Florida governor seeks money to speed up dike construction

CLEWISTON — Gov. Rick Scott announced Monday he will ask the Legislature for $50 million to speed up a federal project aimed at strengthening the dike that surrounds Lake Okeechobee and better protect nearby towns from a potentially deadly failure.

Scott said the money would help complete the federal project by 2022 instead of 2025. The governor and lawmakers also budgeted $50 million during the current fiscal year, the first time the state contributed to the $1.7 billion renovation project.

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, which oversees the 80-year-old dike, has said completing the project three years early would require $200 million annually, up from the $50 million to $150 million that's been federally budgeted over the last decade. President Donald Trump, a friend of the Republican governor and part-time Florida resident, announced last week that he supports expediting the project, which is about halfway done.

If the 142-mile-long dike failed during a hurricane or because the lake level got too high, it could endanger the thousands of people living in nearby farming towns. An earlier state-built, smaller dike failed on the lake's southern edge during hurricanes in 1926 and 1928. The resulting flash floods killing 300 people the first time and more than 2,500 the second.

Scott also argues that strengthening the dike will improve the environment as the Corps won't have to dump as much water into canals that lead to the state's Atlantic and Gulf coasts. Such dumps can cause massive algae blooms like those last year that poisoned waters in and near the Atlantic coast town of Stuart. Scott said he believes he and the president can get the congressional support needed to increase federal spending on the project.

"Everybody realizes that Lake Okeechobee and the Everglades are important nationally. I have spent a lot of time in Washington and I believe that if everybody stays active we are going to get it done," said Scott at a press conference next to a portion of the dike that borders Clewiston, a sugar-growing town of 7,600 residents. Scott's political action committee recently launched a campaign-style TV commercial partly focused on his work on the dike. Scott, who is constitutionally barred from seeking a third consecutive term next year, is considering a run against Democratic Sen. Bill Nelson.

Scott was joined by House Speaker Richard Corcoran, a Republican who said he will support the measure. Republican Senate President Joe Negron, whose district borders the lake, said in a statement that he looks forward to working with the governor on the issue.

Janet Taylor, leader of the local group Glades Lives Matter, which backs the dike improvement project, said she appreciates the governor and president's support for the speed-up but says their promises need to be "fulfilled" and more construction crews need to be deployed.

"Words are good, but I want to see them actually working on the dike," said Taylor, a former Hendry County commissioner.

Lake Okeechobee is the second-largest natural freshwater lake in the continental United States, covering 730 square miles about 40 miles west of Palm Beach.

Florida governor seeks money to speed up dike construction 10/30/17 [Last modified: Monday, October 30, 2017 9:54pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

Copyright: For copyright information, please check with the distributor of this item, Associated Press.
    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Trump intends to declare NKorea a state sponsor of terror

    Nation

    WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump said Monday that he intends to declare North Korea a state sponsor of terror.

    Secretary of State Rex Tillerson listens as President Donald Trump announces that the United States will designate North Korea a state sponsor of terrorism during a cabinet meeting at the White House, Monday, Nov. 20, 2017, in Washington. [Evan Vucci | Associated Press]
  2. Top 5 at noon: Adam Matos sentencing begins; Seminole Heights thanks first responders; and more

    News

    Here are the latest headlines and updates on tampabay.com:

    Quadruple murder suspect Adam Matos, takes the stand to proffer testimony into the record moments after the jury was dismissed for deliberations on Thursday (11/16/17) during the murder trial of Matos, who confessed in court Wednesday to killing his ex-girlfriend, Megan Brown; her parents, Margaret and Gregory Brown; and her new boyfriend, Nick Leonard.
  3. Charles Manson crawled from the Summer of Love to descend into Helter Skelter murders

    Nation

    LOS ANGELES — He could have been just another grifter.

    Charles Manson is escorted to court in Los Angeles during an arraignment phase in 1969. Authorities say Manson, cult leader and mastermind behind 1969 deaths of actress Sharon Tate and several others, died on Sunday, Nov. 19, 2017. He was 83. [Associated Press (1969)]
  4. Buccaneers-Dolphins Turning Point, Week 11: Cool, calm Fitzmagic

    Bucs

    On Sunday, the Buccaneers and Dolphins played one of those football games that gets only an obligatory mention at the end of highlight shows. In that spirit, this week's Turning Point will focus mostly on the final three minutes of Bucs quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick completed about 60 percent of his passes Sunday and threw for 275 yards in a 30-20 win over the Dolphins. He threw touchdown passes and no interceptions. [LOREN ELLIOTT | Times]

  5. Largo police active shooter training 'a sign of the times' for participants

    Public Safety

    LARGO — The classroom was full, but the chatter was quiet as the students picked at doughnuts and sipped coffee from paper cups.

    Trainees throw tennis balls and other objects to Largo police Officer Matt Williams, who pretends to be an active shooter, during a training to prepare residents and business owners in the event of an armed intruder. The training, called ALICE - Alert, Lockdown, Inform, Counter, Evacuate - took place at Largo Police Department on Saturday, November 18, 2017. ALESSANDRA DA PRA   |   Times